Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Some countries are gifted with a massive ‘Civic Sense’!

I live on the UIC campus, and my grad school is in downtown, so I commute via CTA train everyday. Yesterday, on my way to college, I saw that two to three CTA maintenance men were swabbing and cleaning the station entrance area with disinfectants. Furthermore, ever since I have come, I have noticed that almost everyone, as young as 3 year old to 70 year old uses a garbage bin. I have hardly seen anyone litter around on the street. I find this highly appealing specifically because, this attitude is missing in many of my community people. It’s been years now that civic sense has been an issue of debate and discussion amongst young educated people in my country, focusing on inculcating cleanliness and hygienic practices within the community, using placards like – “Green Mumbai clean Mumbai”, “Your city is your home, treat it like your house”, Your community is not a garbage-bin”.

I realize that there are some antecedents that need to be considered before making such comparisons like: country’s infrastructure, population rate, economy. However, in my opinion, civic sense plays an important role in guiding such behaviors; it should be felt by every individual from within to keep the community environs clean. I call this attitude a ‘civic sense’, which is beyond any of the above antecedents. It is inculcated within the family and reinforced in the society. Government rules and policy and their strict implementations plays predominant role in shaping community sense – a sense of responsibility towards one’s state, country etc. I really wish that the young people who are working towards such a noble cause – ‘awakening the civic sense in every possible Indian’ will see a ray of hope one day. I dream of that day!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Aarti,

    This is In-Wen from TCS. Just happened to stop by :)
    I've never been to India so I can't really make a good comparison in civic sense. However, I don't think Chicago is the best city to observe civic sense. There are many litterers and dirty neighborhoods in Chicago; they just have people to clean afterward.

    I think the best examples of civic sense are Singapore and Japan, former enforced by law while latter cultured by education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks for the comment! I agree it is not one of the best cities, but comparatively better than some neighborhoods in India. I think south and some part of north India is cleaner than central part....well, I have heard about Japan, would love to go there some day! :)

    ReplyDelete