Monday, June 7, 2010

Recreation and revival this summer



After a 3 week summer break, my summer classes start the first week of June. Even though I had my practicum during the break, it was a good respite from assignments and studies. During summer break, my friends and I spent most of our weekends hanging out and playing board games. One of our friends had arranged some of the most interesting board games like ‘Ticket to Ride’ and ‘Settlers of Catan’. I had learned to play ‘Ticket to Ride’ during the international board game night event at my school. This game is an interesting and innovative way to learn about different parts of the United States. One has to build train routes from one state to the other and whoever makes longest route covering maximum number of states wins the game. It may sound very simple, but it involves lots of strategical and meticulous planning. I thoroughly enjoy playing this board game. In fact, I think, I hope one day to find an Indian version of ‘Ticket to Ride’.




‘Settlers of Catan’ is one of the most complex board games I have ever played; it wasn’t that easy to learn this game as it involves many rules. The game is about building your cities and establishing a settlement that has knights and resources, so that when pirates or a barbarian attacks the city is capable of surviving the attack. Consequently, you earn more points. Playing board games is one of my favorite recreational activities. All of us had a fun time playing, strategizing, and competing against each other. The snacks and drinks added to the board-game gala!!

No comments:

Post a Comment